Monday, March 10, 2008

Culture Shock....I was really shocked

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

Today was really a terrible day. I was very tired and i think i will catch a flu very soon, but what makes me feel worst the video "Cold Water" that we saw today in the afternoon class.
Actually, i know that the American people do not have enough idea about the world around them, but i didnt imagine that it could be illitracy, for instance, "Africa is a country". I was really shocked today by this.
I think that is because Americans do not teach the world's history in schools, however in other countries, for example Canada, people , i think, are well educated and have enough information about the world around them. Since i came here no one who know that im from Egypt, he knows exactly what is Egypt; country, history, industries and of course the location.
After the class, i talked to some of my friends and they told me that they have seen a program about some Americans that were questioned and some of them located Paris in Africa. I really can not realize that, it is so difficult.

In my country, Americans are well known, as you know, from televisions, newspapers, journals and even radios and we never saw one who do not know where is Madrid or Munich or even Beijin for example. The high schools in Egypt teach the world's history every carefully. Not only that but they also teach the world's countries' customs and traditions in order to have well educated people that could be able to deal with the surrounding cultures.

In general, i didnt found this feeling in Canada. At the begining, i was very happy to see the snow, not shocked, But i didnt have any problem in dealing with people around me. I can not deny that sometimes i feel lonely but the people here are very friendly and Im trying to adopt myself on everything.

1 comment:

nour said...

as u said americans are known universaly, through news, and movies, morover in our educational program in our home country, they try to teach us different cultures in order to be aware of the differences between communities... and that helps a lot in terms of integration....